WIMSIG NEWSLETTER — July 2019
AMSI Winter School
The AMSI Winter School is hosting A Celebration of Mathematics: Diversity in STEM on Wednesday 3 July at 5pm in the Gardens Theatre Foyer, X Block, QUT Gardens Point Campus, Brisbane.
The event welcomes all students, researchers and professionals with an interest in STEM to join for a relaxed evening of talks and lively discussions. The event is free, with light refreshments provided.
Find out more and register to attend at http://ws.amsi.org.au/diversity-in-stem.
Women in Mathematics Meeting
- July 22-24, 2019
- FCT-NOVA, Caparica, Portugal
Early registration is open until June 10. For further information, see eventos.fct.unl.pt/women-in-mathematics-meeting.
Sponsors: Foundation Compositio Mathematica, CMA – FCT – NOVA (Center of Mathematics and Applications), EWM, National Committe of UNESCO, CIM, UNINOVA, SPM, Almada City Hall.
Organisers: Ana Cristina Casimiro, Magda Rebelo, Manuel Silva, Marta Faias (FCT-NOVA)
- Sílvia Barbeiro (Universidade de Coimbra)
- Fernanda Cipriano (Universidade Nova de Lisboa)
- Irene Fonseca (Carnegie Mellon University, USA)
- Patrícia Gonçalves (Universidade de Lisboa)
- Margarida Melo (CMUC, Universidade de Coimbra and Roma Tre)
- Teresa Monteiro Fernandes (Universidade de Lisboa)
- Maria Rosário Pinho (Universidade do Porto)
- Lucile Vandembroucq (Universidade do Minho)
- Elena Resmerita (University of Klagenfurt, Austria) – EWM rep.
International School on Dynamical Systems and Applications
The third meeting of the Tunisian Women Mathematicians’ Association (TWMA) will take place in Monastir (Tunisia) from September 5-10, 2019. More details can be found here.
- November 18–22, 2019
- University House, ANU, Canberra
Applications are open for the Mentoring and Guidance in Careers (MAGIC) workshop for early-career women or gender-diverse researchers with a PhD in mathematical or physical sciences, awarded within the past 7 years.
Successful applicants will receive financial support for airfare and accommodation costs to attend the workshop. Our workshops receive an enthusiastic welcome and are normally oversubscribed, with many interested people turned away due to restricted capacity.
Applications will close midnight August 16, 2019.
The 2019 workshop is organised by Professors Michelle Coote (ANU), Mahananda Dasgupta (ANU) and Nalini Joshi (The University of Sydney). The organising committee includes Dr Merryn McKinnon from the Australian National Centre for Public Awareness of Science, ANU.
Data Science Down Under
- December 8–12, 2019
- Fort Scratchley Function Centre, Nobbys Road, Newcastle
This year’s workshop is lucky to have an excellent line-up of national and international speakers on a variety of topics related to Data Science and Machine Learning.
The workshop consists of two integral parts:
(i) Boot camp: Sunday 8 December to Tuesday 10 December
(ii) Recent advances: Wednesday 11 December to Thursday 12 December
This year, the theme of the boot camp is ‘Randomised Numerical Linear Algebra‘, which is a subject of ongoing intense study. Recent advances will include a diverse range of cutting edge research results on theory and application of Machine Learning.
For further details, please see the workshop website at https://carma.newcastle.edu.au/meetings/dsdu/.
The University of Western Australia
- Research Fellow — Statistical learning, multivariate and high-dimensional data (fixed term, 3yrs)
— Closing date: Wednesday 17 July, 2019
- 5 Ways Society Sabotages Girls’ Interest In Science And Math, Forbes — June 9, 2019
- Underrepresented faculty play a disproportionate role in advancing diversity and inclusion, Nature Ecology & Evolution — 2019
- Unintended consequences of gender-equality plans, Nature — June 18, 2019
- A Guide to Organizing Inclusive Scientific Meetings, 500 Women Scientists
- Getting to Equal 2019: Creating a Culture That Drives Innovation, Accenture
- 7 Tips for Men Who Want to Support Equality, Lean In
Have you read an interesting article? Have some news? Have an opportunity available?
Please send items to WIMSIGfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Newsletters are published on the 1st day of each month (or soon after). The deadline for submitted items is the 27th day of each month.