WIMSIG Newsletter – February 2014
ICWM 2014: International Conference for Women in Mathematics, 12-14 August 2014
This conference is being held as a satellite event of the International Congress of Mathematicians in Seoul, Republic of Korea. See the conference website for more details.
Awards to fabulous female mathematicians
- Congratulations to Dr Natalie Thamwattana (University of Wollongong) on being awarded the 2014 J.H. Michell Medal.
- Congratulations to Professor Kerry Landman (The University of Melbourne) on being awarded the 2014 ANZIAM Medal.
Australian Council of Heads of Mathematical Sciences
Recently Asha Rao (Chair of WIMSIG) made a presentation to the ACHMS Meeting entitled “Gender Equity in Australian Schools of Mathematical Sciences”. The slides are available from the WIMSIG Events page at http://www.austms.org.au/WIMSIG+Events.
Women in Mathematics Gatherings at ANZIAM and MISG
- A Women in Mathematics Lunch was held at ANZIAM 2014, organised by Nalini Joshi.
- A Women in Mathematics Breakfast was held at MISG 2014, organised by Kristen Harley (QUT).
Thank you to all who supported these events.
If you have any interesting articles or news to share, please contact our webmaster Amy Glen.
Women in Mathematics Gatherings in June
In November last year we held Women in Mathematics Gatherings in six cities across the country. We are planning to hold another round of gatherings in June 2014 and we need a host or hosts for each gathering.
The host is responsible for:
- Booking a venue (the tea room in your building is fine)
- Choosing a time (perhaps in the week between classes and exams)
- Organising some snacks
- Local advertising
If you’d like to organise a gathering in your city, please contact Giang Nguyen who will coordinate the gatherings.