AustMS WIMSIG Maryam Mirzakhani Award
Maryam Mirzakhani (1977–2017) was an Iranian mathematician and a professor at Stanford University. In 2014 she became the first female recipient of the prestigious Fields Medal. She passed away much too soon but her achievements live on and continue to inspire many.
The Maryam Mirzakhani Award has been established to honour her work as well as her role in breaking the glass ceiling for women in mathematics. photo: Courtesy Jan Vondrak
The Maryam Mirzakhani Award is designed to support international female students pursuing a postgraduate degree in mathematics in Australia. Each year the award will be made on a competitive basis by a selection committee of distinguished mathematicians, appointed by the executive committee of WIMSIG.
There is one round of the Maryam Mirzakhani Award per year, with the closing date each year being the 1st of April. Applications, using the form overleaf and accompanied by a CV and other supporting documentation as detailed below, must be sent to the Selection Committee via the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application form: PDF with Rules.
Rules of the AustMS WIMSIG Maryam Mirzakhani Award
- The AustMS WIMSIG Maryam Mirzakhani Award scheme provides top-up scholarships to international female postgraduate students in mathematics in Australia.
- To be eligible to apply an applicant must be a woman studying in an Australian University for a PhD, a Research Masters or a Master of Philosophy, who is enrolled as an international student and has been confirmed in her respective program at the time of application. An applicant must have received her undergraduate degree from a University outside of Australia and cannot have previously received this award. In addition, an applicant must be a current member, or have submitted an application for membership, of the Australian Mathematical Society (AustMS). Student membership of AustMS is free but application must still be made and renewed each year; to apply/renew, see https://staging.austms.org.au/membership.
- At most one Maryam Mirzakhani Award will be made each year. If there is no applicant of sufficient merit, no award will be made.
- The Maryam Mirzakhani Award will be made on the basis of academic merit, although need may be taken into account.
- Applications must be sent via email to email@example.com by April 1.
- The application must consist of
- the completed application form;
- a current CV (at most three pages);
- evidence of international enrolment and confirmation in program of study.
- The applicant must arrange for a letter of support from her supervisor(s) to be sent directly to the selection committee via the above email address by April 1. The letter must conrm the applicant’s study program, the date of confirmation in that program of study, and that the applicant is enrolled as an international student. It should also comment on the merits of the applicant.
- The selection committee reserves the right to consult with appropriate assessors or request additional information.
- In applying for a Maryam Mirzakhani Award, applicants agree that if they are successful, their names, a citation and photograph can be published on the website and in the publications of the Society. An Award recipient must agree to submit a summary (at most two pages) of their research to the Society within two months of receiving the award, and that this summary may be published in whole or in part in the on the website and in other publications of the Society.
- The Selection Committee of the AustMS Women in Mathematics Special Interest Group will make recommendations to the Chair of the WIMSIG Executive Committee on the award of the AustMS WIMSIG Maryam Mirzakhani Award.
- The amount of the award is 3000 Australian dollars but may be varied in consultation with the donors and the Australian Mathematical Society.
Awardees To Date
- Fatemeh Ansarizadeh (Swinburne University)